When we pulled into Frenchy's Oasis Motel in Clearwater, Florida, we needed a vacation from our vacation. We had just visited seven Orlando theme parks in six days and we were looking forward to a couple of relaxing days on the beach.
Frenchy's Oasis Hotel was just what we were looking for. Everything about this small, locally-owned motel reflects a laid back, unpretentious atmosphere. It's an extension of the casual Frenchy's restaurants that dot Clearwater Beach.
More than a motel
Frenchy's Oasis Motel was renovated three years ago and the whole place is immaculate. The decor has a cool, retro theme, which I loved. The pool was small, but uncrowded. The beds felt new and comfortable. Here is a list of other amenities that set Frenchy's apart from the average motel.
- Full kitchens – Our room had a full-size refrigerator, a two-burner stove, a microwave, and everything else we could want for eating in. Wow.
- Private dock – At the back of the motel, guests have access to a private dock on the harbor. We missed seeing dolphins this time, but we had a great view of sea birds and the Clearwater Marine Aquarium. TIP: Be sure to ask for a harbor view room. Most of Frenchy's rooms face the harbor, but a few face the wall of the motel next door.
- Complimentary laundry facilities – Frenchy's has new washers and dryers in the guest laundry. No quarters required, unless you want to purchase a single-use box of Tide for $1 instead of using the complimentary store brand detergent.
- Beach equipment – Frenchy's Oasis Motel has beach chairs, beach towels, beach/pool toys and fishing gear available for loan. Just grab what you need and return it when you are finished.
- Guest lounge – Want to borrow a DVD or a beach read? The guest lounge is accessible around the clock. There is also a computer with internet access and a printer available for guest use.
- Big screen television and Blu-Ray player – Not everything at Frenchy's is retro. We re-watched the movie Dolphin Tale in our room the night before we visited Winter at the Clearwater Marine Aquarium.
Location, location, location
We could have parked our car at Frenchy's Oasis Motel and not moved it for the duration of our stay. Frenchy's is located three blocks from the beach and less than that from restaurants, shopping and Clearwater Beach's best public park, Pier 60.
We stayed at Frenchy's Oasis Motel for three nights during a weekend. After watching many cars troll the streets in search of any parking space – free or paid – our Frenchy's complimentary parking pass felt like a golden ticket.
Before you book, keep in mind…
Our family loved staying at Frenchy's Oasis Motel, but it did have a few quirks that might not work as well for other travelers.
- The office closes at 7 p.m. each night and is located in the motel next door. Late check-ins must be arranged in advance. The manager is nearby in case of emergency, but don't expect round-the-clock service.
- Frenchy's Oasis Motel does not provide housekeeping service during your stay. A hamper is provided to collect soiled towels. Set it outside your door to exchange dirty towels for clean ones.
- The most shallow part of the pool is 4 feet. My six-year-old is not yet a confident swimmer, so I worried about his safety and that he wouldn't have fun in a pool this deep. I kept a close eye on him while he played with Frenchys' pool toys and we had no problems, but other families with young children might.
- Frenchy's offers free wireless internet in the rooms, but my phone struggled with the connection throughout our stay. Our laptop did not have the same connection problems.
Frenchy's Oasis Motel is the kind of unique, local lodging that we prefer. It has a fun atmosphere and great location. It offers amenities above and beyond the typical motel. For Clearwater Beach, its rates are affordable. We enjoyed our stay at Frenchy's Oasis Motel and we do recommend it to other families.
Good to Know
Where: 423 East Shore Drive, Clearwater, Florida. Take your first right turn after the causeway, and you're there. Frenchy's Oasis Motel is located within an easy walk of the beach, restaurants and shopping.
When: Clearwater is a fun year-round destination. December through May is peak season.
How Much: $129 – $169 per night for 2 adults. Kids under 16 stay free. A 2-night minimum stay is required.
Amenities: full kitchen, pool, private patio, big screen TV with Blu-Ray player, harbor views, complimentary wireless internet, lounge with computer/printer, DVD library.
Disclosure: Frenchy's Oasis Motel hosted our family at no charge so that we could review it for other families. The opinions expressed here are my own.