It's not often that we post about Do-it-Yourself projects here at Tips for Family Trips, but when my sister told me about this easy, packable football toss game her sister-in-law made for a family reunion, I had to try it. In addition to family reunions, you could use this football toss on a camping trip, an afternoon at the park, or at home. It can double as a soccer target.
This football toss game is durable and inexpensive and you can make it in a couple of hours. It folds for easy travel and storage.
Here is what you need:
- 1 tarp with grommets – any size or material. My tarp was about 5 feet square.
- 2 rolls of craft duct tape in complementary colors or patterns
- 50 feet of nylon rope, cut into 4 equal pieces
- 1 or more footballs, regular or foam
You should be able to easily locate all of these supplies at your local retailers, or purchase them all from our Amazon Travel Shop. Find them in the Projects category.
- Yard stick
- Sharp scissors
Football Toss Game Instructions:
1. Unfold tarp and lay on a flat surface.
2. Use the yard stick and pencil to mark the placement of the holes anywhere you like. I made four holes about 12 inches (30.5 cm) square in the corners, with a larger hole in the center. You may want to make the holes a little larger for a soccer target.
3. Cut out holes with scissors.
4. Use one color duct tape to fold over raw fabric edges around the holes. Reinforce the back with an extra layer of duct tape, if you like.
5. Use the other color duct tape as a decorative border around the first color. Feel free to get creative!
6. You can add family names for “Aim for Your Name” like I did, or make each hole worth points. Use a computer to print your signs and trim if desired. Laminate the signs if you like and secure them to the tarp with duct tape. These signs are easy to remove and change anytime. To avoid bending them, store them separately, or fold the football toss game carefully.
7. Tie a piece of rope to each corner.
8. It's ready to take anywhere. Have fun!